Tuesday 28 December 2010

Manchester City reaction - Just not good enough.

I went into today's game fairly optimistic for some reason, particularly considering the team news with no Tevez, Barry or Milner and Reo Coker starting in midfield. Oh how I was wrong.

There was no fight, passion, spirit, togetherness - it was just woeful. One of the worst performances I have ever seen as a Villa fan and it feels worse than the 6-0 at Newcastle. Why is it we only ever start performing when we are a few goals down? It's no use playing well at 3 or 4-0 down as it's too late.

I won't even bother talking about whether I think Houllier should stay or go because it's all over the internet and yesterday I said it would be foolish to get rid of him now. I still stand by that, one extra result doesn't make me change my opinion. I don't think Lerner will get rid of him just yet as he's only been here three months and there is still the January transfer window to prove himself. Most of Houllier's transfer targets have been identified and some players are all but signed.

At the end of the day, we are in high danger of getting relegated but we need the fans more than ever. Watching the game today I heard chants such as "The Villa is ours, fuck off Houllier, the Villa is ours" - OK so you might not like the manager but all of the blame does not go down to him. He picks the team and sorts the tactics but he does not tell the players to make the mistakes they are making or to barely play anywhere near their potential.

The only players to come out with any positives from this afternoon's game are Petrov and Albrighton for trying to create something out of nothing.

Although, a special mention goes to Delph for coming on with about 30 minutes to go, for playing with a bit of heart and bringing a classy touch into a seriously shocking performance. Hope his injury is not too serious.

Chelsea away next, not looking to great is it? Chelsea are on a very poor run of form but then again so are we. Says 0-0 all over it doesn't it? We can only hope they don't come back into form on Sunday but it is foreseeable that they will given our luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment